DLNA stands for “Digital Living Network Alliance,” an international group of organizations. These companies have set some standards and guidelines that need to follow by DNLA devices to share the media files such as pictures, music, and videos over a home network.
Once a device receives a DLNA certification, it’s connected to your home network. It will be able to communicate with other connected DLNA-certified devices over the home network. I have compiled a handy list of DLNA streaming applications and features to help you choose the best DLNA streaming app for the iPhone.
Top 14 DLNA Streaming Apps For iPhone
Fusion Stream DLNA Digital Media App
Fusion Stream DLNA Digital Media App is a simple DLNA Streaming Apps For iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. It allows you to stream Pictures, Music, and Video files stored on SmartStor DMS (Digital Media server) from anywhere.
It supports uploading your digital media files to SmartStor DMS from your iPhone and allows you to retrieve or download your uploaded content from SmartStor DMS to your iPhone.
One of its components, the Digital Media Controller, allows browsing of content stored on the digital media server and controls the playback device remotely. It also supports creating, saving, and loading playlists remotely. Overall it’s a great DLNA Streaming application; however, the only problem is that it sometimes crashes abruptly.
- Playlist Management
- Create and save a Playlist
- Your Playlists save under My Device in the Server list.
- iOS multitasking is fully supported
- Come with a search tool that makes it easy to locate music, pictures, and videos on any Digital Media Server in the home.
Media:connect for iPhone
Media: connect is the complete DLNA streaming app for the iPhone. It is a convenient DLNA streaming app for iPhone, which needs basic settings to be done and operated by anyone from beginners to a geek very easily.
- Allow streaming of music and pictures stored on any DLNA-enabled devices directly from iPhone.
- Easy to play all media formats compatible with iOS devices from your DLNA-enabled DMS.
- Fully controlled digital media renderer remotely.
- Play the media formats like AVI, VOB, DivX, and Xvid from your DLNA-enabled DMS via seamless integration with flex: player.
- TV output for video playback.
- It allows downloading of the media during streaming and even after disconnection.
- The app has a built-in digital media renderer that allows the device to control them remotely.
- It supports FLAC audio Codec, which allows digital audio to improve without losing quality.
- Help you to stream Internet Radio powered by SHOUTcast.
AirPlayer for iPhone
AirPlayer is a DLNA streaming app for iPhone that streams music, pictures, and videos on your iPhone from UPnP/DLNA media servers. In addition, it allows accessing media files from Windows 7 to your DLNA and enables iPhone directly.
- It can discover DMS on the local network automatically with an auto-refresh facility
- You are manually connecting to a server to stream your data on your iPhone easily.
- Easy to stream almost all media formats.
- Provide support for photo browsers and thumbnails
- Showing a snapshot of the media file
- Search function to instantly search media
- It’s an excellent DLNA app, except that it does not allow streaming media in HD.
MLPlayer – DLNA Streaming Apps
Media Link Player (MLPlayer) is a DLNA streaming app for iPhone, which allows streaming media files stored in DLNA/UPnP servers directly from the iPhone.
It supports streaming media files like pictures, Music, and videos from Windows 7 Media Server and various NAS Media link player. It is available in two versions one is a lite version, and another is the full version.
- It supports the DLNA v1.5 Mobile Digital Media Player function.
- Help you to connect your iPhone to UPnP/DLNA media servers.
- Come with an image viewer that supports functions like thumbnail viewer, rotating images, slide show, etc.
- The Lite version supports media file formats like H.264 for Movies, AAC and MP3 for Music, and JPEG and PNG for Images.
BUZZ Player – DLNA Streaming Apps for iPhone
BUZZ Player is a highly recommended app if you are looking for DLNA streaming apps for the iPhone. It supports various audio and video codecs, file formats, and streaming protocols.
- BUZZ Player Awesomely supports almost all media, audio, and Video Formats.
- Support for High Definition (HD) video playback.
- Provide Subtitles in almost all languages and allow users to change various subtitle settings: font color, font size, font type, position, etc.
- Work correctly on various protocols such as HTTP, FTP, RTP, RTSP, MMS, Net stream (mpst://), SMB, FFmpeg://, etc., playing media files not only from local servers but also from remote servers and devices.
- Allows the connecting devices to the internet through cellular networks such as GPRS, EGPRS, and 3G.
BUZZ Player is a versatile DLNA application that supports almost all media formats. – BUZZ Player
8player for iPhone
8player is a new DLNA streaming application for iPhone that helps you stream video, Music & photo from any DLNA/UPnP server. Users can access media content directly from the iPhone or use 8player as a remote control for any DLNA-compatible player.
- Support various media file formats such as Image Formats: jpeg, png, BMP, gif, ico, tiff, etc. Video Formats: 3gp, Avi, mp4, MOV, mpg, WMV, m4v, Mkv, asf, Flv, Ogg, VOB, etc. Audio Formats: mp3, WMA, aac, WAV, AIF, alac, FLAC, etc.
- Handy and user-friendly application.
- iOS 5 devices and AirPlay supported
- Playback over the 3G network
- Background audio playback.
- It offers subtitles in almost all languages.
DiXiM DMC allows you to stream MPEG-4 format with high quality and excellent stability. Users also stream audio and images from any DLNA/ UPnP server on the network to their iPhones. Stream and play your content on the PlayList Management, Automatically Playback your Media, Easy to View preview before sending it to the renderer.
- It supports a narrow range of media file formats like MPEG-4 for videos, MP3, AAC for audio, JPEG, and PNG for images. However, whatever formats it supports gives the highest quality output with excellent stability.
- It provides a DiXiM Media Server from which media files can easily stream on any iPhone.
- Allow you to stream media files from local servers.
The functionality that is lacking in most DLNA streaming apps for iPhone is radio. However, it has built-in Radio streaming functionality where users can select and stream radio stations from 10,000 internet stations. In addition, users can choose, steam, and control media from a local computer, server, or NAS device and control DAB and FM radios.
- In-built Radio streaming tools have access to over 10,000 internet radio stations and Podcast services.
- Auto-detects the modes supported on the radio and configures the app’s screens according to the needs.
- USB music player
- UPnP music player
- EQ settings
- Radio on/off
- Recall of radio station presets
- Last.FM, Modes
- Control of multiple radios
- iPhone or iPod docking
- Radio presets
- It also allows streaming music files from local servers or NAS devices.
The Onkyo Remote application allows music streaming and is a remote control for Onkyo network A/V receivers.
- Allows Radio station selection by hand, without the need to view a TV display.
- general remote-control button operations
- A unique volume control operation
- The Now Playing screen displays.
- Onkyo Remote Control App is compatible with iPhone 3GS, iOS 4.2, or later devices.
PlugPlayer is one of the most user-friendly DLNA streaming apps for iPhone that can stream almost anything. Even offer support directly streaming other iOS Devices from the iCloud.
- It allows pushing pictures, videos, and music from the built-in server or external servers to Media Renderers or AirPlay-supported devices.
- It lets you stream data directly from iCloud into your iPhone.
- Supports manually added devices that are not discoverable due to network connectivity problems.
- Provide advanced device configuration, allowing you to stream music and video from remote servers or over VPN.
- It makes sure that your iDevice remote servers will be discoverable by other media renderers.
ArkMC is a handy DLNA streaming app for iPhone that allows you to stream all media files on your iPhone from any DLNA/UPnP server in your home network. – ArkMC
- Work as Digital Media Renderer (DMR) in the Home network.
- Support a wide range of media formats like 3GP, AVI, WMV, MP4, MKV, MPG/MPEG, TS, M2TS, VOB, FLV, MOV, M4V, and ASF.
- Allow browsing through DLNA server libraries in your home network.
- You are managing all your devices from inside and outside your network environment.
- Stream any media content from any DLNA players in the network.
- Fully controlled local Playback.
MediaCTRL for iPhone allows you to browse the media content stored on your computer or network drive and play it on your DLNA-enabled TV. You can also play your mobile media files on your television over a Wi-Fi connection.
It is fully compatible with the market’s best-selling connectivity devices and uses cutting-edge technology for playing, sharing, and controlling network media. It doesn’t allow connecting devices to the internet through cellular networks such as GPRS, EGPRS, and 3G. – media curl
GoodPlayer is a DLNA streaming application that allows streaming a vast range of media file formats directly on iDevices using iTunes File Sharing or over Wi-Fi. If you are looking for the best video player powered with DLNA streaming capability for your iPhone, then GoodPlayer is the best pick for you.
- Supports a wide range of media file formats such as MP4, RM, RMVB, AC3, HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, AVI, Xvid, Divx, DAT, VOB, FLV, WMV, MKV, RTSP, MMS, SFTP, SMB, MMSH, MMST, RTP, UPnP, UDP and so on
- Fully Touch Controlled subtitles and audio track playback.
- TV-out/VGA out, HDMI TV-out, and Video Mirroring.
- Worked with various languages and srt, smi, “idx+sub,” Mkv embedded subtitles.
- Twenty-four bits of actual color give the best visual user experience.
- Easy to open video and audio files from email attachments and Safari web browser.
- Customize your subtitles in the sense of font, font size, font color, etc.
- Provide support for the AirPlay feature.
- HTTP/FTP Wi-Fi file sharing
- Password protection for folders
- Built-in file manager
- UPnP/DLNA/WebDAV/SFTP supported.
Linn Kinsky is a DLNA streaming app for iPhone that offers you full control of your Linn DS system from a DLNA-enabled iPhone.
- It allows you to browse your music collection by album artwork.
- Easy to change the playlist in any room instantly.
- Play music all over your home with the highest quality, excellent stability, and perfect synchronization.
- Let’s easily control the volume in any room independently.
- OpenHome Media Players
- UPnP and AV Media Renderers
- Linn DS systems running Davaar firmware