gedit is a highly customizable lightweight UTF-8 compatible text editor for the GNOME desktop environment that mainly focus on simplicity and ease of use.
gedit is a highly customizable lightweight UTF-8 compatible text editor for the GNOME desktop environment that mainly focus on simplicity and ease of use. It includes tools for editing source code and structured text such as markup languages.
it support most of the standard editor features, extending this basic functionality with other features not usually found in simple text editors such as supports for editing multiple text files in one window.(known sometimes as tabs or MDI). It also extensible through its plugin system, which currently includes support for spell checking, comparing files, Change case, File browser pane, viewing CVS ChangeLogs, and adjusting indentation levels.
Features of gedit:
- Full support for internationalized text (UTF-8)
- Configurable syntax highlighting for various languages (C, C++, Java, HTML, XML, Python, Perl and many others)
- easy to edit files from remote locations
- File reverting
- Print and print preview support
- Clipboard support (cut/copy/paste)
- Search and replace
- Go to specific line
- Auto indentation
- Text wrapping
- Line numbers
- Right margin
- Current line highlighting
- Bracket matching
- Backup files
- Configurable fonts and colors
- A complete online user manual