Top 14 DLNA Streaming Apps For iPhone. DLNA stands for “Digital Living Network Alliance” which is an international group of organizations. These organizations have set some standards and guidelines that must be followed to allow DLNA devices to share the media files such as pictures, music, videos over a home network.
DLNA stands for “Digital Living Network Alliance” which is an international group of organizations. These organizations have set some standards and guidelines that must be followed to allow DLNA devices to share the media files such as pictures, music, videos over a home network.
If a device receives a DLNA certification then once it’s connected to your home network, it will be able to communicate with other connected DLNA certified devices over the home network. I have compiled a handy list of DLNA streaming applications along with their features which will help you to choose a best DLNA streaming app for iPhone.
Fusion Stream DLNA Digital Media App
Fusion Stream DLNA Digital Media App is a simple DLNA Streaming Apps For iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. It allows you to stream Pictures, Music and Video files stored on SmartStor DMS (Digital Media server) from anywhere. It supports uploading of your digital media content to SmartStor DMS from your iPhone, also allows you to retrieve or download your uploaded content from SmartStor DMS to your iPhone.
One of its component "Digital Media Controller" allows browsing of content stored on Digital Media Server and controls the playback device remotely. Fusion stream also supports creating, saving and loading playlists remotely. SmartStor Fusion is overall a great DLNA Streaming application however the only problem is that it sometimes gets crashed abruptly. – SmartStor Fusion
Media:connect is the most comprehensive DLNA streaming apps for iPhone. It is recognized as the most comprehensive DLNA streaming application because of its versatile features which are as follows,
- Allow streaming of music and pictures stored on any DLNA enabled devices directly from iPhone.
- Allows to play all media formats compatible to iOS devices from your DLNA enabled DMS (Digital Media Server)
- full control over any of your digital media renderer remotely.
- Allows to play the formats like AVI, VOB, DivX, Xvid from your DLNA enabled DMS (digital media server) via seamless integration with flex:player.
- Supports TV output for video playback.
- Allows downloading of the media during streaming and even after disconnection.
- Provided with a built in digital media renderer which allows device to be controlled remotely.
- It supports FLAC audio Codec which allows digital audio to be compressed without loss of quality.
- Provided with Internet Radio powered by SHOUTcast.
Media:connect is a very handy DLNA streaming apps for iPhone which needs very basic settings to be done and can be operated by anyone from a noob to a geek very easily. – Media:connect
Note: With a free version of Media:connect you can only access up to three items per folder.
AirPlayer is a DLNA streaming apps for iPhone that stream music, pictures and videos on your iPhone from UPnP/DLNA media servers . It allows accessing media files from Windows 7 to your DLNA enables iPhone directly. Airplayer is powered by following features, – AirPlayer
- It is able to discover digital media servers on local network automatically with auto refresh facility.
- Manually connecting to a server for easily streaming your data on your IPhone.
- Provide support for streaming almost all media formats.
- support for photo browser, photo thumbnails, showing snapshot of media file, search function to instantly search media, Airplay feature.
- AirPlayer is an awesome DLNA application except the fact that is does not allows streaming media in HD (High Definition). Currently it supports streaming media in standard definition but possibly they are going to release an HD media streaming supported version very soon.
Media Link Player (MLPlayer) is a DLNA streaming apps for iPhone which allows streaming media files stored in DLNA/UPnP servers directly from iPhone. MLPlayer also supports streaming media files like pictures, music and videos from Windows 7 Media Server and various NAS Media link player. MLPlayer is available in two versions one is lite version and another one is full version. – MLPlayer
The features of lite version are as follows,
- It supports for DLNA v1.5 Mobile Digital Media Player function.
- Help you to connect your iPhone to UPnP/DLNA media servers.
- Provided with an Image viewer which supports functions like thumbnail viewer, rotating images, slide-show etc..
- Lite version provide support for media file format like H.264 for Movie, AAC and MP3 for Music, JPEG and PNG for Image.
The features of full version are as follows,
- The full version of MLPlayer resembles all the features of its lite version along with some very efficient additional features.
- Supports background music playback.
- Supports Multitasking for iOS4 devices.
- supports for DLNA v1.5 Digital Media Controller function.
- Allows media playback from media servers on your iPhone as well as digital TV and audio receivers which support DMR (Digital Media Renderer).
- Supports for Cross-DMS Search, Music Playlists of recently played or mostly played media.
- Full version of MLPlayer supports all the file formats supported by the lite version; additionally it supports WAVE, Apple lossless, HE-AAC, AIFF formats for Music.
Drawbacks of Media Link Player:
- Requires Wi-Fi environment.
- Playback of terrestrial digital media contents is not supported.
BUZZ Player is a highly recommended apps if you are looking for DLNA streaming apps for iPhone. It provide support various audio and video codec, file formats, and various streaming protocols.
Features provided by BUZZ Player are as follows,
- BUZZ Player Awesomely supports almost all media formats including Container Formats:3GP, AVI, FLV, ASF, Ogg, OGM, Real Media, MKV (Matroska), MOV (QuickTime), MP4, NUT, XVID, DIVX, Bink, WMV; Audio Formats: AAC, AMR, DTS, FLAC, AC3, ALAC, Intel Music Coder, Monkey’s Audio, MP3, Musepack, RealAudio, Shorten, Speex, Vorbis, WMA, Bink; Video Formats: MJPEG, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 Part 2, Cinepak, DV, H.263, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, Real Video, Sorenson, Theora, HuffYUV, Indeo, WMV, Bink.
- Support for High Definition (HD) video playback.
- support for Subtitles in almost all languages and allows user to change various settings of subtitle: font color, font size, font type, position etc..
- support for various protocols such as HTTP, FTP, RTP, RTSP, MMS, Net stream (mpst://), SMB, ffmpeg:// etc. and allows playing media files not only from local servers but also from remote servers and devices.
- It is provided with a Built-in Internet Browser and Network Browser.
- Allows connecting device to internet through cellular networks such as GPRS, EGPRS and 3G.
Overall BUZZ Player is a versatile DLNA application that supports almost all media formats. – BUZZ Player
8player is a new DLNA streaming application for iPhone that help you to streaming Video, Music & Photo from any DLNA/UPnP server. User can access media content directly from iPhone or use 8player as a remote control for any DLNA compatible player. Various features provided by 8player are as follows, – 8player
- Support a wide variety of media file formats such as Image Formats: jpeg, png, bmp, gif, ico, tiff etc. Video Formats: 3gp, avi, mp4, mov, mpg, wmv, m4v, mkv, asf, flv, ogg, vob, etc. Audio Formats: mp3, wma, aac, wav, aif, alac, flac etc.
- Handy and user friendly application.
- Support iOS 5 devices.
- Support for AirPlay
- Background audio playback, and Playback over 3G network.
- It supports subtitles in almost all languages.
DiXiM DMC allow you to stream MPEG-4 format with awesomely high quality and great stability. User also stream audio and images from any DLNA/ UPnP server on the network to your iPhone. Stream and play your content on the Play List Management, Automatically Playback your media, Easy to View preview before sending to the renderer. – DiXiM DMC
Features supported by DiXiM DMC DLNA Streaming Application are as follows,
- It supports very narrow range of media file formats like MPEG-4 for videos ; MP3, AAC for audios and JPEG, PNG for images, however for whatever formats it supports, gives highest quality output with great stability.
- Provides a DiXiM Media Server from which media files can be streamed on any iPhone.
- DiXiM DMC allows streaming of media files from local servers.
The functionality that lacks in most of DLNA streaming apps for iPhone is radio. However ConnectR comes with the in-built Radio streaming functionality where user can select and stream radio station from 10,000 internet radio stations. User can select, steam and control media from a local computer, server or NAS device, as well as control of DAB and FM radios. ConnectR supports numerous awesome features which are as follows, – ConnectR
- in-built Radio streaming facility and have access to over 10,000 internet radio stations and Podcast services.
- Auto-detects the modes supported on the radio and configures the Application screens according to the needs.
- USB music player, UPnP music player, EQ settings, Radio on/off, Recall of radio station presets , Last.fm, Modes, Control of multiple radios, iPhone or iPod docking, radio presets, Volume etc..
- It also allows streaming music files from local servers or NAS devices.
Onkyo Remote application allows music streaming and also used as remote control for Onkyo network A/V receivers. The Onkyo Remote Control App is provided with lots of awesome features are as follows, – Onkyo Remote
- Allows Radio stations selection by hand, without the need to view a TV display.
- Allows efficient, stable and fully controlled audio files streaming from a DLNA compatible server. An DLNA enabled iPhone can be used to select music directly from the DLNA compatible server.
- It is provided with the features like general remote-control button operations, Unique volume control operation, accelerometer.
- The Now Playing screen displays Information such as radio-station frequency displayed when listening to radio.
- Onkyo Remote Control App is compatible with iPhone 3GS or later, iOS 4.2 or later devices.
PlugPlayer is one the most user friendly DLNA streaming apps for iPhone that can stream almost anything. PlugPlayer even supports directly streaming another iOS Devices from the iCloud. Features supported by PlugPlayer DLNA streaming app are as follows, – PlugPlayer
- It allows pushing pictures, videos, music from the built-in server or from external servers to Media Renderers or AirPlay supported devices.
- It allows streaming data directly from iCloud into your iPhone.
- Supports for manually added devices in case if they are not discoverable due to network connectivity problems.
- PlugPlayer provides advanced device configuration, which allows you to stream music and video from remote servers or even over VPN.
- PlugPlayer makes sure that your iDevice remote servers will be discoverable by other media renderer.
ArkMC is a handy DLNA streaming apps for iPhone that allows you to stream all media files on your iPhone from any DLNA/UPnP server in your home network. – ArkMC
ArkMC comes with the features as follows,
- Work as Digital Media Renderer (DMR) in Home network.
- Supports a wide range of media formats like 3GP, AVI, WMV, MP4, MKV, MPG/MPEG, TS, M2TS, VOB, FLV, MOV, M4V, ASF.
- Allow browsing through DLNA server libraries in your home network.
- Provided with AirPlay feature.
- Allows managing all of your devices from inside as well as outside your network environment.
- Stream any media content from any DLNA players in the network.
- Fully controlled local playback, Also controlling playback of all media files on all DLNA enabled devices also allow multimedia playback on various devices in different rooms at the same time.
MediaCTRL for iPhone allows you to browse the media content stored on your computer or network drive and play it on your DLNA enabled TV. It also allows to play your iPhone media content on your DLNA enabled TV over Wi-Fi connection.
It is fully compatible with the market’s best selling connectivity devices. mediaCTRL uses cutting-edge technology for playing, sharing and controlling network media. It doesn’t allows connecting device to internet through cellular networks such as GPRS, EGPRS and 3G. – mediaCTRL
GoodPlayer is a DLNA streaming application that allow streaming a very wide range of media file formats directly on iDevices by using iTunes File Sharing or over Wi-Fi. If you are looking for a best video player powered with DLNA streaming capability for your iPhone then GoodPlayer is the best pick for you. – GoodPlayer
The various features of GoodPlayer DLNA app are as follows,
- Supports a wide range of media file formats such as MP4, RM, RMVB, AC3, HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, AVI, Xvid, Divx, DAT, VOB, FLV, WMV, MKV, RTSP, MMS, SFTP, SMB, MMSH, MMST, RTP, UPnP ,UDP and so on..
- Allows fully touch controlled subtitles, and audio track playback.
- Supports TV out/VGA out, HDMI TV-out and Video Mirroring.
- Supports variety of languages and srt, smi, "idx+sub", mkv embedded subtitles.
- 24 bits true color gives best visual user experience.
- Allows opening video and audio files from email attachments and Safari web browser.
- Allows subtitle customization in the sense of font, font size and font color etc..
- Provide support for AirPlay feature.
- It supports the features like HTTP/FTP Wi-Fi file sharing, password protection for folders, Built-in file manager, UPnP/DLNA/WebDAV/SFTP supported.
Linn Kinsky is a DLNA streaming apps for iPhone that offers you full control on your Linn DS system from an DLNA enabled iPhone. Linn Kinsky offers numerous the features which are as follows – Kinsky
- Allows you to browse your music collection by album artwork.
- Allows changing the playlist in any room instantly.
- Allows tuning in internet radio stations.
- Allows playing music all over your home with highest quality, great stability and perfect synchronization.
- Allows controlling volume in any room independently.
Linn Kinsky is compatible with,
- OpenHome Media Players
- UPnP and AV Media Renderers
- Linn DS systems running Davaar firmware